Feb 1, 2011

Kings English

I have been taking Italian lessons recently.  My hope was to someday visit the land of my ancestors and at least be able to ask where the bathroom is located.  Well, my dream seems more likely to happen now that we will be living on the same side of the “pond” as Italy.  Which brings me to my latest musing.  There have been conversations in the past about possible places we might move and I have always said I don’t want to have to learn chinese or russian or any such language.  So, imagine my delight when I realized that they speak English in the U.K..  Hey, that is my native language too!  But, much to my chagrin, I have been learning that it just isn’t the same.  What is up with that?  Didn’t the pilgrims come from England?   Shouldn’t we have adopted their language since they started this country?  I don’t know, maybe they were just so mad at the King, that they said we are dumping your tea in the harbor and making up new words so we don’t have to talk like you anymore.
So, in anticipation of needing to know this “foreign” language, I have begun to learn “The King’s English.”
Here are some helpful translations:
Bathroom=loo
Cookie=biscuit
Elevator=lift
Fries=chips
Jello=jelly but jelly=jam
Line=queue
Parking lot=car park
Soccer-football
Trunk=boot
This list might come in handy should you decide to visit me and while you are in the queue at a football game, waiting to order chips with your burger and a biscuit for dessert and suddenly you need to use the loo but you realize that you left your wallet in the boot of your car, you can ask where the lift is that will take you to the car park!

1 comment: